Bugatti | Talbot-Lago
Ettore Bugatti was a French car manufacturer of high-performance automobiles, founded in 1909. Bugatti cars were known for their performance and design beauty (Ettore Bugatti was from a family of artists).
Famous Bugattis include the Type 35 Grand Prix cars, the Type 41 “Royale”, the Type 57 “Atlantic” and the Type 55 sports car.
Bugattis also enjoyed great success in early motor racing, winning the first ever Monaco Grand Prix in 1929 and the 24 hours of Le Mans twice (in 1937 and 1939). The little Bugatti Type 10 swept the top four positions at its first race and the 1924 Bugatti Type 35 is probably the most successful racing car of all time, with over 2,000 wins.
Ettore Bugatti famously described his arch competitor Bentley’s cars as “the world’s fastest lorries” for focusing on durability. According to Bugatti, “weight was the enemy”.
After the death of the founder, Bugatti ceased production in the early 1950’s Italian entrepreneur Romano Artioli acquired the Bugatti brand in 1987, and also acquired Lotus Cars in 1993. In 1989 Bugatti advertised the EB110 as the most technically advanced sports car ever produced. By the time it came to market poor world economic conditions forced the company to cease operations in September 1995.
Volkswagen AG acquired the Bugatti brand in 1998 but it failed in its revival attempts and in February 2015, Bugatti sold its last Veyron Grand Sport Vitesse, which was named “La Finale.”
The French Talbot company was acquired by engineer Antonio Lago in 1935 forming Talbot-Lago. The name was used internationally but cars sold in Britain were badged as Darracqs.
The bodies, such as the T150C SS Teardrop Coupe, were made by excellent coachbuilders such as Figoni et Falaschi. These Talbot-Lagos have become top-prized cars at various auctions selling for many millions of dollars.
The pre-war sporting six-cylinder models had a great racing history. After the war, the company continued to be known both for successful high-performance racing cars and for large luxurious passenger cars.
The post war Talbot-LagoT26C was a single-seater racing car which made its debut in the 1948 Monaco Grand Prix, finishing second. Two Grand Prix victories were achieved the following year. A modified two-seat version won the 1950 24 Hours of Le Mans.